Pages

Sunday, June 5, 2016

8 unbeatable ways to stop thinking and just do it

8 unbeatable ways to stop thinking and just do it



Have you ever gotten a really great idea, got really excited over it, researched everything there is to research about it ... and when it came to realizing that idea, your enthusiasm totally flopped?



I've been having this problem for as long as I can remember. It starts with me being excited through the roof and going crazy about an idea. The problem is actually starting to make something. For example: I've been thinking about writing a book since ... forever. I know a lot about writing a book. I have a Pinterest board called I, writer where I pin everything related to writing a book. It's having to just do it I have a problem about. Actually sitting down and starting to write. Something happens and I end up sitting at my desk, depressed as hell, staring at the floor. Everything that seemed such a good idea, suddenly becomes a load of crap.

I don't know why that is. I just know that trying to realize my idea turns me into a mess and I can't even remember why I thought it was such a good idea to begin with. I have no idea how to start doing the thing I was so passionate about just 10 minutes before.

Have you ever felt like that? Or is it just me? Am I weird? (Probably.)

Anyway, there are a few things that I like to do when I start feeling like this.

Get away from the computer/phone/tablet.

Full as it may be of ideas, tips and tricks, it's also a great way to distract yourself from actually doing something. ­It's so easy to browse Pinterest for hours on end, thinking to yourself: »This is great, I'm actually working on my idea,« when, in reality, it's just procrastination without the guilt. It's great to have a lot of information, but there comes a time when you have to stop looking up ways to do it and JUST. DO. IT. Maybe allow yourself one more quick search: google 'how to start' and then just start.

Eat some ice cream.

I don't know why, but when I start to feel really shitty, there's no better thing than ice cream to send me back to my happy, productive place. Alternatively, chocolate is said to be good at promoting the release of endorphin, the ultimate feel-good hormone, so be sure to have some on hand when you need to keep your happy going.

Move! Work up a sweat!

Exercise is also a great way of sending a surge of endorphins through your body, making you feel not so shitty. But wait! You don't have to go out for a run or join a gym (leaving home and having to socialize when you're feeling down, brr *shudders*). Yoga, like the Sun Salutations is great to stretch those muscles for an instant dose of happiness.



- P I N   T H I S   I M A G E -
8 unbeatable ways to stop thinking and just do it
8 unbeatable ways to stop thinking and just do it

Drink some water

Your bad mood might actually be caused by dehydration. Drink some water or none-sweeteened tea and you'll feel better instantly. Since summer is fast approaching and has, in fact, already come in some parts of the world, always keep a bottle of water in the fridge. Add a bit of taste with chopped fruit and mint leaves – YUM!

Have a NapNap

If you think that lack of sleep might be the cause of your lack of productivity, hop on your bed, snuggle your blanky/pet/BF/GF/stuffed toy and have a short rest. Try a caffeine nap and you'll be ready to keep on going in no time!

Set a timer

For those who don't know how to start: nothing will give you quite the kick in the butt like giving yourself a limited amount of time to do something. I like to set a timer for, say, 20 minutes and say to myself: »OK. I have this long to write an intro to my book. Ready ... Set ... aaaand GO!«

Be held accountable

You cannot trust yourself to hold yourself accountable for your actions or lack thereof. Find a person who you know will reeeeeally chew you out, like go all drill sergeant on your behind if you fail to perform.

Clean up!

Sometimes I get sooo depressed when I look around my place. So messy, and I hate myself for letting it become this way. But then I get to work, clean up the mess and I instantly feel better and ready to get things done.

Write it down.

Take a piece of paper and brainstorm. Really think about what you want to do. Then, when you have a clear idea in your mind, it will be a lot easier. JUST DO IT!

 The 'Just do it' speech by Shia LaBeouf might be hilarious but it's also oddly motivating. Watch the whole thing HERE but make sure to have your speakers turned down. Shia gets ... excited. - found at giphy.com
The 'Just do it' speech by Shia LaBeouf might be hilarious but it's also oddly motivating. Watch the whole thing HERE but make sure to have your speakers turned down. Shia gets ... excited. - found at giphy.com

How do you keep on top of shitty feelings and get things done?


READ ALSO:



No comments:

...